What you need to follow when considering an ovarian cyst treatment should be according to the severity of the case. Other things that you need to consider are:
- age of the patient
- the kind of cyst
- location of the cyst
- size of the cyst
Once your doctor have detected that you have ovarian cysts, the first step to be taken is to monitor your condition. This is done by putting you through several types of laboratory tests such as an ultrasound on your next two menstrual periods.
Majority of cysts are functional. This means that they usually go away on their own without needing any treatment. If the cyst does go away but returns, your doctor may prescribe you to take some contraceptive pills or hormonal therapy to inhibit the formation of cysts in the future.
When a cyst grows abnormally large (over 2 inches in size), a laparoscopic surgery may be at hand.
Nowadays, there is a vast number of choices of treatment options for ovarian cysts that women can choose from.
Natural Ovarian Cyst Treatment Options
In the ancient times, people used the traditional form of treatment or also known as alternative treatment to cure illnesses. Here are your natural ovarian cyst treatment options:
1. Herbs – Herbal remedies were heavily used in the past and is still popularly used in the present. They are natural and usually have a much lesser risk for any side effects. There are certain herbs to treat ovarian cysts. Ovarian cysts usually develop as a result of hormonal imbalances. An herbal therapy is recommended to help balance levels of hormones in the body. Some of the known herbs to treat ovarian cyst are:
- Chasteberry – this restores the balance of hormones in the body
- Wild yam – also for hormonal balance
- Black cohosh – helps regulate irregular menstrual cycle
- Milk thistle – a cleansing agent
- Dandelion – this can clean your liver
- Bee pollen – boosts your immune system and makes you resistant to common illnesses
2. Proper Diet – What you eat is important to prevent the onslaught of diseases and bad health conditions in the body. An ovarian cyst treatment diet primarily involves a fiber-rich diet of fruits, vegetables and whole grains. An Italian research suggests that a diet abundant in milk can trigger the development of cysts.
Medical Ovarian Cyst Treatment Options
Doctors can prescribe certain medications to women with ovarian cysts such as Chlomid and Provera. Chlomid is a fertility drug that stimulates ovulation while Provera helps regulate hormones.
Surgical Ovarian Cyst Treatment Options
There are surgeries that can be done to remove abnormally large cysts. The removal of small cysts is called laparoscopy. Other surgery options include:
- Ovarian cystectomy – the removal of cyst only
- Partial oophorectomy – the removal of the cyst and part of the ovary
- Salpingo-oophorectomy – excision of the cyst, ovary and fallopian tube
- Total abdominal hysterectomy with bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy – the removal of the entire reproductive system
Ovarian cysts can be a major problem if left unattended. If you show any signs and symptoms, consult with your doctor for proper assessment and treatment procedure.