Nothing could compare to the joyful feeling of hearing the doctor’s news that you are expecting your first baby. The tiny life that is slowly growing inside of you means the world to you and you ought to protect it by learning the ways on how to prevent miscarriage.
You can’t deny the feeling of completeness once you pregnant. As a woman, if feels like you have finally achieved the greatest purpose of your existence—and that is to give birth. But nothing could prepare you for the shock when the baby you are carrying in your womb suddenly dies.
Miscarriage affects one in every four women and according to the National Infertility Association, as many as 70% of pregnancies may end in miscarriage.
What is miscarriage?
A miscarriage is the loss of pregnancy or death of a fetus inside the womb before 24 weeks into the pregnancy period. Most miscarriages actually happen during the 12th week of pregnancy. The bad news is, this condition is common and it’s causing grief to many expectant mothers. miscarriage can also be an indication of infertility when the woman is unable to carry a full-term pregnancy, more so when it has happened several times in a row.
What causes miscarriage?
There are certain factors that cause the sudden death of the baby in your womb. It can be categorized into environmental and physical factors. Some causes of miscarriage in women are:
- Certain medical conditions such as illnesses that may pose the risk of miscarriage although this not a common factor.
- Smoking is a high risk-factor for miscarriage.
- Age can affect a woman’s ability to carry a baby in her womb. The older you get, the higher are your chances of having a miscarriage should you get pregnant.
Many women think that getting a miscarriage is tough luck. It’s a lot more than that. It’s the condition in your body and everything around you that can cause you to lose your baby. No one, not even your doctor can assure you of a safe pregnancy all the way. Given this fact, it should now be your initiative to know how to prevent miscarriage.
Here are some of the natural ways on how to prevent miscarriage:
- Keep a healthy diet. Nutritious fruits and vegetables are a must if you want to keep you and your baby healthy. Following a nutritious diet plan and avoiding the intake of fatty foods are important means on how to prevent miscarriage. Keep track of your daily calorie intake and take a load of fiber.
- Drink plenty of water. If you are a caffeine and alcohol lover, it’s about time that you ditch these two unhealthy beverages and switch to water. You may also drink tea but not without your doctor’s approval.
- Take your prescribed supplemental prenatal vitamins. Some vitamins that are essential for expectant mothers to prevent miscarriage are folic acid vitamins with minerals and iron.
- Do some moderate exercises such as short daily walks for about 30 to 40 minutes per day. However, this must be done in safe conditions and with your doctor’s consent.
- Probably the most important tip on how to prevent miscarriage is to get enough rest as needed. You should get at least eight hours of sleep every night. Try also taking short naps in the afternoon especially when you are approaching the first trimester of your pregnancy period. Refrain from doing heavy and strenuous tasks at home and don’t force yourself beyond your limits.
- To always follow what the doctor ordered is an important reminder to prevent miscarriage. Take all the necessary physical and laboratory tests and be as cooperative as possible in doing the things that your doctor expects you to do to help ensure the safety of your baby.
Pregnancy is a lot more complicated than you think. Always keep in mind that you need to be extra careful with your health especially when you are pregnant because you are not only dealing with your own health but as well as the health and welfare of your baby.